Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day, the Way It's Meant to be Celebrated

I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. I love the crap out of themes and decorations, enjoy being cutesy and lovey, and appreciate any semblance of holiday celebration in the dead of winter. I mean really, Valentine's Day puts February on the map, and I'm cool with that.

But let us not forget that it's the Second Biggest Letdown Day of the year! (Beat out by New Year's, duh.)

If Valentine’s Day had nothing to do with guys, it would be the best holiday ever! If your Valentine’s Day happiness was judged by the cards from your grandma and surprise boxes of goodies from you mom, then I would dominate this holiday!

But unfortunately that’s not how it’s marketed. From the 100000 emails I’ve received in anticipation of this Magic Day of Love, I was given the impression that in order to have a truly great Vday, I must have a lovah. And not only do I need to have Mister Right in my life, we then must coordinate a day of perfection wherein he makes me feel totally special, beautiful, incredible, etc. while also allowing me to proving my womanhood or something.

Let’s cut the crap and realize that unless you have a doting gay boyfriend, chances are you will experience a less than perfect evening due to your inflated expectation levels. Or perhaps the tables are turned and maybe you’re a biatch who gets naush over the romance if he does make the effort. (Cough cough The BFF cough cough.)

Okay, okay I’ll stop hating on your vday, and really this was just a long set up to tell you that my February 14th was perfect.

I spent the weekend skiing in Colorado with one of my BFF's S (more on that later). We got back to Denver Sunday night, and after a relaxing Monday morning at her apartment, she and I shared a lovely lunch of leisure at Houston’s.

For some reason that's my go-to place with Dolo and always reminds me of her and my mom. Good food plus they refill your drink like 100 times. Four Diet Cokes, don’t mind if I do, I’m on vacation. Chocolate brownie a la mode? Don’t mind if I do, it’s Valentine’s day and I’m with my best friend.

From there we took a stop by one of S’ favorite Denver boutiques where we both got the same adorable floral print silk top. Hey, I can dream spring is right around the corner, right?

Oh, and icing on my Valentine’s cake? WE GOT TO PLAY WITH A CHOWCHOW/SHAR PEI PUPPY. I die. Literally I did.

Puppies, brownies, cute tops, and BFFs? Can’t ask for anything more.


[Okay, you can, it’s called more ski days. I’m so jealous of S’ life in Denver. She has great friends, almost a law degree, a job lined up, and skiing ever weekend. She’s the happiest I’ve seen her. Get it gurl.]


Thanks for being my Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment