Friday, September 28, 2012

My Life In Boxes

When I left New York, I downsized from a small room's worth of crap to what now equals a car full of crap. I said buh-bye to all my of Craigslist furniture (good riddance), and I parted ways with a perfectly good TV for a fraction of what I paid for it (I'm still annoyed about that one if you hadn't guessed).

Beaten-down boxes barely held together with worn-out tape were sent back to Austin, and over-the-limit-but-I-didn't-get-charged-because-I-have-a-nice-smile-and-or-people-feel-sorry-for-me suitcases traveled with me back home. Here in Austin I've stored my treasures: Various art I've collected during the past few years (I can't wait for the gallery wall I've mentally pictured for a year to become a reality), random souvenirs Spiros and I've not been able to say no to, and relics from my past I won't be able to part with. Oh, and my beloved animal lamp from Berlin. Hope Spiros is cool with me decorating like a child! 


Then there are the clothes. I'm fairly certain my dresses procreated like rabbits while I was gone. Is that possible? I swear I didn't know I had that many navy J.Crew numbers. I've culled down the piles, though, tossing the pilling sweaters (muahah winter muahaha) and the work clothes I never wore even when I had a full time corporate job.

I'm still not sure if everything will fit in the back of the small SUV were driving out there, but fingers' crossed. (Oh and that 8' x 11' rug I impulsively thought we had to have from One Kings Lane will only make it more of a challenge; what is wrong with me, I have a problem!?)

But if all goes as planned, I will no longer be living out of suitcases within a month. I will finally be settled, and after an amazing vagabondish, nomadic year, I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment