Monday, September 24, 2012

Here's Me, Way Over There's My Comfort Zone

I'm a total creature of habit, and I like to stick to what I know. But like every motivational, prettily designed quote you've pinned on your "Reach for the stars!" board on Pinterest, I'm here to tell you that you'll never expand your horizons if you do the same thing forever.


Trust me, I get it. For most of us, it's a thousand times harder to get outside of our comfort zones than it is to stay in our perfectly groomed little ruts. "But I love my rut!" you say. "It's cozy and it's almost fall and I can wear my slippers here and my cats, my thousands of imaginary cats, love it!"

Believe me, I've been there. It's enjoyable, until all of a sudden it hits you, "I'm stuck." Even if things are good, realizing your life is totally stagnant is suffocating. Shake things up! As the Ying Yang Twins preach, "Shake it like a salt shaker!" (Technically I think that song is about shaking yer butt, but the same principle applies here.)

Anyway, be open to change. Then start paying attention to opportunities that come your way. What sounds new and exciting, but within reach? What have you always wanted to try? What can you do to make yourself proud?

This has definitely been quite a year for me in terms of getting outside of my comfort zone. Here are a few things I've done (some with some gentle nudging from others) that have helped me gain confidence, get out of my rut, and given me fodder to brag about on the internet (i'm sorry).


  1. Getting my SCUBA open water diving certification (one more lake dive to go!)
  2. Took a catamaran sailing class in German (you're right, I don't speak German! but it was fun and made me get excited about sailing with Spiros in California)
  3. Started "practicing" Bikram yoga (it sucks, but in a totally fulfilling sort of way)
  4. Upped my skiing endurance and ability (I still hate moguls though, I'm not a masochist)


I also just bought a new, less protective Otterbox case for my iPhone, but I'm not sure that counts. That might have just been a mistake.  

What about you? Have you done anything you're proud of lately? Any new activities I should try? I've always secretly wanted to take an improv or standup comedy class, but I'm too scared. Does anyone want to move to California with me and sign up for one? It'll be fuuuun!

No comments:

Post a Comment