Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Me 20 Years Ago

While my mom and I were in Houston this past weekend, my dad stumbled on some old home videos (as in VHS, and obv my parents still own a VCR). After a family dinner on Sunday night, we figured we might as well put them on for something to do.

I'll be honest, I might have a little bit of a reputation in my family. You see, I am the oldest. And because of this, some people might think I come off bossy. I mean, just because I let my younger brother and his wife know that I'd prefer for them to wait to have kids until I after I do, I get a bad rap! (Let's keep in mind how I never once made any hiss or fuss about them getting married before me! Literally I couldn't have been happier. (Or over-served, but whatever.)

Anyway, watching these memories was a nice reminder of what a capital-B Brat I was back in the day. In only an hour or so of watching, three prime 1993 examples jumped out:

1) Me playing basketball in the driveway. Missed shot, missed shot, missed shot. Finally got one in! "Do I get money for that?" Um, what? Did I live in a fantasy land where I was rewarded for every little thing? Good thing I've grown out of that entitled stage... 

2) Me opening presents at my birthday party. My mom loudly reminding me that screaming "YES! YES! YES!" after ripping through the paper is not the same thing as "Thank you!" (This scene was made worse because minutes earlier we'd seen my younger brother profusely "thank you very very much" each of his guests. Gah, perfect child.)

3) Me loitering behind my youngest brother (a wee toddler) as he's being interviewed by my uncle on the camera, only to yank his corn on the cob out of his chubby hand and proceed to make it my own snack. Worst.big.sister.ever.

Annnd this is how I looked. Probably no reason to be so bratty.
There you have it. In the almost 20 years since this video took place, I have only gotten taller and grown out my bangs. Other than that I am literally the same person. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment