Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tschüs, Berlin: Part II

Much like the last time I said goodbye to Berlin, I'm leaving here with a plan for what's next, but no real definitive idea of how it will actually turn out. Every time I recount the story of what's happened in the past eight months, I'm reminded how crazy and surreal it's all been. And it was very special getting to come back here to the place where it all started as sort of a full-circle-yet-also-a-totally-new-step-forward experience.

Here Spiros and I have gotten to know each other approximately 1,000,000 % better than I could have imagined. As we discussed the other day, in terms of hours spent together - like if you divided it up by dates and factored in if we each had, like, a real life to attend to - it's practically like we've been dating for years. I mean, had we been dating in New York, maybe we'd have seen each other once or twice a week? (Granted his comeback to this was, "Yeah, because you would have been 'Juggling Two Hotties'"...touché...) But living together, traveling together, "working from home together". It has been a lot of quality time to prove we are compatible.

This time has also afforded me the opportunity to reconnect with the friends I made last fall (and spend time with my friend's adorable baby) as well as meet new people. It makes me sad to think I don't know when I'll be back to see them again, but most have already assured me they're already planning their California excursions. I mean, what's the point of having an American friend if you can't come visit them?

And last but not least, Berlin itself, I'm glad to have been here.Thanks to Spiros, I've seen and done plenty of things I never would have made the effort to do when it was just me. He's reminded me that it's a city where at any time you can find yourself in the coolest, weirdest situations. (For example, a random burlesque show slash 18 piece brass band concert, like the other night.) But it's also the place we first had a real routine, where we went to 'our' brunch place on Saturdays and then shopped in the farmer's market for dinner ingredients. That will always make it special for me.

I will miss it, that's for sure. But I also couldn't be more excited for what's in store.

I will miss random nights out.
I will miss taking advantage of nice weather at neighborhood beer gardens.
I will miss our weekend brunch routine and the best croissants ever.
I will miss reminiscing at the places where we had our first few dates.
And for the month of September, I will miss this guy.
(Isn't his Longhorn training going well?!
He even threw up his horns without being prompted!)

No comments:

Post a Comment