Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Greece: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

There are approximately 1,000,000 pictures from THE GREATEST TRIP EVER to come, but for now here is a quick recap of THE GREATEST TRIP EVER:

THE GOOD:

  • Almost everything. Seriously it was amazing, as beautiful as you've heard (or if you're lucky enough to have been, as you've seen). 
  • In Satorini everything is white, blue, turquoise. It was my heaven. 
  • The food. I've never been a big fan of American Greek food. That is because it sucks compared to real Greek food. Feta? Feta is different, way creamier and less in-yo-face. Yogurt? Greek yogurt is a thousand times better than "Greek yogurt" - less tart, less slimy. Greek salads? I miss them already. 
  • Seeing Spiros in his homeland. Beyond adorable. Although we didn't get to meet his immediate family on this trip (we will in two weeks when we go to Athens!), we stopped by to see his great aunt and his mom's cousin. His great aunt cried when she saw him because he looks so much like her brother, his grandpa Spiros (who died before he was born). It was so precious. And - score - even with the massive language barrier, they still called his mom and told her how much they liked me! 
  • Learning a little Greek. Obviously the only letters I know are from my previous "Greek life" (kappa, gamma!), but I've mastered a few pleasantries and other random words to feel like a genius! 
  • Snorkeling with Spiros. We are good travel buddies, we both like little adventures and get excited about silly things. This was just another fun activity to add to the list.
  • Getting to stay at a place in Crete where Spiros had stayed a few times before, hanging out with people from around the world, and enjoying the beautiful place together.
  • Crashing a honeymoon!!!! Catching up with Nicki and Joe on our first night (their 8th or so) in Santorini, getting to see each other's beautiful hotel views, and reliving our favorite wedding memories was so damn special!
  • Spending a week with the sweetest, most wonderful guy in the world who takes such good care of me, laughs at my dumb jokes, and shows me to all the best places. Seriously, he is the best. 
  • Did I mention how beautiful it was?
THE BAD/THE UGLY:
  • Greece is a bit of a 2nd world country. I mean that in the nicest way possible. But it also means things are different than I'm used to. Like you can't flush toilet paper in the toilet. You have to throw it in a trashcan. Awkward. 
  • I am covered in mosquito bites. I seriously have somewhere between 50 and 100 total. I was going to write 1,000,000 but I want you to know how serious it is. It's horrible. I look like a dog with fleas. Real sexy. 
I'd be really depressed to be back in Berlin if I didn't know we'd be heading back to Greece in two short weeks! (I know, I know, totally crazy, but due to Spiros' work schedule we had to break up our trip. I am not complaining!)

No comments:

Post a Comment