Thursday, June 28, 2012

Big Exciting News

Now, if you're friends with me on Facebook then you might have already heard some news: Spiros and I are moving to LA in October.

I know. What? I know.

After Nicki and Joe's wedding, he flew to LA for a marathon round of interviews, they told him the next day that they wanted him (totally unheard of in any profession, I'm fairly certain), and since then we've been holding our breath and crossing our fingers/toes/arms/legs that the visa application would make it through and blah blah blah IT ALL WORKED OUT.

Seriously, it is insane.

Reasons why it seems meant to be: Ever since I was little I've loved the idea of living in California. Sure it's expensive, but it's so beautiful.  There was a point two years ago when I went to visit a "friend" in LA and really wanted to move there, but I couldn't justify it to myself at the time. Then in January when Spiros came to visit me in NYC, he told me, "I want to get a job in California." At this point he had never been to California. I politely laughed in his face. Then a few months later we found ourselves driving up the Pacific Coast Highway together, loving every minute of it. He even pointed to the sign for the suburb where his office will be saying, "That's where the company is based that my former colleague works for." And now that will be our home. So.freaking.crazy.

But at the same time, once the ball started rolling, we both just sort of assumed it would work out. Before I left for Berlin, I had people ask me what I would do after my trip if there was no definitive plan for Spiros to come to the US. And you know what? I had no idea because I thought it wasn't worth the effort worrying about it. There was a chance it would work out, and that's all the hope we needed.

Sometimes life can just really suck and nothing seems to go right. I've totally been there. I've spent years of my life there. So has Spiros. And then other times life can just be really awesome. And we couldn't be happier that we've hit that sweet spot (for the time being at least, you never know when shit will hit the fan...ah always the realist).

So now we are eagerly and giddily planning for the next few months. (By planning, I mean I have been Pinteresting up a storm, and it's already getting way out of control. But that's why it was invented right?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment