Friday, October 12, 2012

Tales From The Road (Or, The Time We Accidentally Went To Mexico)

 
Windmill blades looked like alien ships.
Well, we are here. To be honest, I was a little afraid that we wouldn't make it, but luckily our girl (as we referred to the car in a loving, reverent tone every so often on the drive) got us here safely.

As my sweet, deep philosophical Mediterranean boyfriend kept reminding me, "It's not about the trip, it's about the journey." Which is to say, the journey through the middle of nowhere to find the next opportunity to pee and eat 5,000 calories of artificially flavored crap was delightful. 

Except for that time when we accidentally crossed the border. You see, looking on the map of our route through El Paso made both of us nervous. For starters, I have spent a good deal of time educating Spiros about the dangers of the Mexican drug cartels. I've also been told numerous stories about people stopping in these parts on similar moves out west, only to wake up to find all of their belongings stolen. Last but not least, I was afraid that we would somehow get turned around and end up on the wrong side of the border, with poor little Visa-holding Spiros getting on the bad side of some high-and-mighty, power-drunk border agent. (I'm not sure if I told you, but we had a pretty bad run-in with an overly aggressive NYPD officer in what should have been a non-situation, and now we are both sca-ared of authority figures. Technically I have always been, but whatever.) 

Anyway, long story short, we were making our way to a downtown El Paso hotel when we got stuck sandwiched between multiple 18-wheelers blocking an intersection and we didn't realize we had to turn in order to stay in good ol' Amuhrica. Whoops. There was a sign ahead that said we could make a u-turn, but then there was no on there to let us through the gates, and well, see above for fear of getting screamed at. So we had to go up ahead (barely avoiding actually crossing into Mexico), then make a u-turn, then wait for an hour to be let back into the US while I squirmed around in my seat fearing that they would have to search the entire car packed full of all of my worldly possessions while I peed in my pants (from nervousness and a gallon of iced tea). Did I mention we had a giant rug draped over everything so it looked extra sketchy?


Luckily our lane (the slowest lane, obv)'s border patrol wasn't a jerk (although he did make fun of us for not making the original u-turn) and we were on our way soon after. Phewwwwwwwwwww. 

The rest of the trip was broken up by a great stop in Scottsdale to visit some of my family, the final Hunger Games' book on "tape", and me singing along to hours of 90s R&B jams (now I know Spiros really loves me for me). 

The journey was great, but we're even more excited to start the real adventure: Getting a dog Getting settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment