Friday, July 24, 2009

Foreigners: Stage-Five Clingers or Womanizers

Foreigners* - avoid at all cost

*I'm referring to men who are visiting or who have lived in the states for less than three years, it's science.

So there was the incident with the Brazilian soccer PLAYER.

Clearly he's not alone. There are tons of good looking foreigners roaming the streets, seducing women with their suave non-American accents. Let me warn you right now, if you meet this type, he is probably a womanizer too. Enjoy the foreign fantasy while you can, but don't let yourself have high expectations of a long romance.

However, you can also run into the opposite end of the spectrum, something I have had to learn the hard way.

One night the BFF and I went to a neighborhood bar where we met two Israeli soldiers visiting the U.S. for the first time. It became apparent that one of them was quite captured by the BFF and her quasi-middle eastern look, while the other one chatted with me. He told me he had a girlfriend back in Israel and even showed me a picture.

Seeing as how they seemed nice enough, we obliged at the end of the night when they asked for our phone numbers, and it turned out, my email address as well. My new friend had a GF so I didn't think he would actually contact me again.

Wrong.

The following day we had already received three calls each from these guys, with the number of missed calls exponentially increasing with each day that passed. Eventually after a solid two weeks of stalker-like phone calls, voicemails and broken-English emails, our soldier friends finally took the hint.

A few months after that, I made the mistake of making out with a seemingly sweet South American at a bar, mostly due to boredom. Again, at the time it seemed like a fine idea to give him my number even though inside I knew I would never want to see him again. Unfortunately I just felt too bad telling him that in person, and I paid for it for weeks. There is nothing more annoying than being excited by the alert of a text message only to find it's ANOTHER ONE from someone you never want to hear from again.

After those eye-opening experiences, I made a promise to myself to be slightly more discerning...it is sort of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment