Monday, July 27, 2009

Always Have Someone on the Bench

I have been boy crazy since 5th grade. Since I can remember, I’ve always typically had at least one person to be interested in, you know, just as a side project or something. Liking boys is a hobby. A sport.

As long as things are casual there is no problem pursuing a variety of crushes until one pans out that way you’re never too focused on one person, which leads you down that detrimental path to CGSville. Pretty good game plan, I think.

I live in the ups and downs of new crush excitement, the balancing act of who you like more, the possibilities. Then one moves ahead in the race and the others just fall by the way side. You're looking for the winning horse, but that doesn’t mean you should necessarily put all your money on it right away. Spread out the bet a little and see your options at least.

When I moved to New York, I knew I needed to get a few interests to occupy my time. Luckily I found myself meeting guys left and right (mostly due to poor discretion and strong dating ambition.)

I ended up developing a fairly sufficient rotating lineup of interests - a mixed group of guys that ranged from legitimate options, hopeful interests, and let’s be honest, a few warm bodies to bulk up the lineup - the guys that I knew I would never be interested in for a variety of reasons, but kept on friendly terms with JIC.

However, eventually as the weather started to cool off after the summer, for whatever reason my dating life began to cool off too. My lineup began to dwindle: one of the guys got a serious girlfriend, one I realized was in fact not that awesome and actually kind of terrible, one could not overcome my preconceived opinion that a) he looked like a British monkey, b) he was shorter than me, and c) his roommate was The World’s Biggest Douchebag. Dealbreaker.

The season was over and all my free agents had left.

No comments:

Post a Comment