Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Re-Instated Self-Importance

Honestly the one thing I've missed about not having a job is the lack of work-related self-importance. I don't know what it is about saying, "Oh I'm so busy with work right now," that justifies sounding way busier than any other excuses for being busy, but it does. And I missed it. (Apparently saying "Oh I'm really busy catching up on The Newsroom and cooking dinner" doesn't solicit ANY feelings of sympathy. Trust me, I've tried.)

I know, no one feels the least bit sorry for me having been a totally unproductive member of society for these past few (six, if you're counting) months. Lord knows I don't feel sorry for myself, it has been awesome. Highlights have included: traveling with Spiros, living with Shawn, spending time with my parentals, and becoming a master friendship bracelet maker. But when it comes down to it, I feel guilty for having done nothing (of significant, viable) importance. And to be honest, The Newsroom is good, but it's not that great. 

So when it became a possibility for me to do some freelance work for the woman I worked for last fall (the one who mentioned, "You should have given Spiros a chance" right before I left), I jumped at the chance. IF ONLY to be able to say I made an effort to do something worthwhile. A semblance of self-importance. (And you know, for the money slash experience.)

Unfortunately it has taken literally two months to sort out, but hooray, it finally worked. I signed a contract and everything.

Now I am officially self-important again. At least for the next four-to-six weeks. And that's all I need to be able to have a conversation with my currently-still-employed-82-year-old grandmother without feeling like the world's biggest asshole. It's something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment